Opportunities and Resources for Artists
Talespinner Children's Theatre is holding auditions for BIPOC actors ages 18 and up for their Winter 2022 production of The Snowy Day and Other Stories by Ezra Jack Keats on Saturday, October 1st from 1:00-3:00 pm and Monday, October 3rd from 5:00-7:00 pm, or by appointment (please email email@example.com). The Snowy Day will be directed by Heather Utsler-Smith, and will run December 2-18, 2022, with the potential for 1-2 matinee performances on Fridays as the schedules of the actors allow.
Please review the following details before scheduling an audition. All roles are available.
(From Plays for New Audiences) The wonder of a fresh snowfall, the delight of whistling for the first time, the awe in finding a special treasure comes to life in The Snowy Day and Other Stories by Ezra Jack Keats. This story celebrates the joy in the small moments of a child’s world.
The Snowy Day and Other Stories by Ezra Jack Keats is a play with music. Comfort with singing and experience with puppetry is a plus.
Adapted for the stage by Jerome Hairston. Produced by special arrangement with Plays for New Audiences. To make an audition appointment email Heather Utsler-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested performers will receive a 5-min audition time slot and should prepare a two-minute retelling of their favorite children's book. Actors should also provide their resume (and a headshot if desired). Actors must be available for all weekend performances, and should be prepared to discuss the possibility of Friday matinees.
4 dynamic, energetic actors that identify with the Global Majority. This includes, but is not limited to, those identifying as Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, and/or any Person of Color. While description of roles may fall on the gender binary, all performers of any gender identity may audition for any role. For example, Peter, while described as a young boy, may be played by any gender identification. Actors of varying body types and abilities are encouraged to audition. Actors will play multiple parts throughout the show.
Female Player (cast as any gender) plays Mom, Amy, Archie, and Boy 3. Actor must possess strong movement skills, and ability to play various ages.
Male Player 1 (cast as any gender): plays lead Little Peter, Peter. Grows up throughout the show, energetic, curious, and happy. We follow Peter from a young childhood to adolescence.
Male Player 2 (cast as any gender) Dad, Pepe, Boy 1, Bully. Actor must possess strong movement skills, and ability to play various ages.
Player 3 (cast as any gender) Willie, Boy 2. Actor must possess strong movement skills, and ability to play various ages.
All actors will be paid $400 for the production.
-Props and Puppet Designer
Please email your resume and your availability (ie Snowy Day, Hook & Smee and/or Everything I Feel) to Ren Twardzik, email@example.com. Portfolio work is encouraged but not required.
TCT will be hiring teaching artist in the coming weeks.
More information will be available shortly. For the time being please send all inquiries to our Director of Education, Matt Loehrke, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ushers needed for Aponibolinayen. Help families find their seats and be comfortable in our space. There’s no charge to see the show. Friday shows start at 7pm, Saturday and Sunday start at 3pm. Ushers arrive 45 minutes before the start of show. Aponibolinayen runs October 8th through the 23rd.
To sign up to be an usher or inquire about other volunteer opportunities please email Ren Twardzik at email@example.com
PLAYground Coming Soon!
After a long break, we are so excited to be coming back to the PLAYground! More details will be coming soon.
If you’re interested in submitting a script or working with us in other capacities, please read our submission criteria carefully and fill out the contact form on our website. While we currently don’t have a reschedule date, we promise to keep you posted on future developments.
As always, thank you for your continued support and interest in creating theatre for children!
PLAYground gives Cleveland-area writers of all experience levels a chance to produce their original works for children at Talespinner!
Playwrights sixteen and older are invited to submit scripts that will be considered for a staged reading brought to life via Zoom by a team of professional artists. PLAYground scripts may be considered for a future, fully staged production at TCT.
- Writers must be based in the Cleveland area. Out of state or out of region submissions will not be accepted for this program. (Please feel free to contact TCT at the email address below if you would like to know if your area is included.)
- Writers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Any work based on existing materials must be in the public domain. Scripts will not be considered if they are based on materials that hold current copyright.
- All materials on which work is based must be noted for reference. (ie: “this work is based on the German folktale, Ashputel.”)
- The script should need no more than 5 actors. (This does not mean only 4 characters! Puppets and masks can be used!)
- Writers should be willing to work collaboratively with TCT and the artists involved in the program, and be available for all rehearsals and performances in the program.
- Folksongs or appropriate music can be included, but orchestration and instrumentation must all be able to be produced vocally, or with alternate, available, creative instruments, and links to source music must be provided by the writer, if indicated specifically in the script. Talespinner is in the process of moving toward wider musical and sound capabilities, but please be cognizant of the fact that this is ongoing.
- Scripts can be no longer than 55 pages.
Interested in Submitting a script?
Submission details: A preliminary script, with a list of characters, and a synopsis. It is understood that re-writes will happen between acceptance and rehearsals, but any major changes must be approved by TCT. Please make sure that your name and contact information--including email--is printed clearly on the front page of the submission. Submissions not clearly labeled will not be considered.
Where to Submit
Electronic copy is preferred. Please send a word or pdf document addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PLAYground Script Submission” in the subject header.
Paper copy – Please send a clearly printed copy to:
Talespinner Children’s Theatre
PO Box 602036
Cleveland, OH 44102